Today I’m excited to share a 5 minute cork key fob tutorial with you! Cork is a really great material and can be used for sewing bags and various other sewing projects to add some stability and durability.
Easy Sewing Projects
I love to teach beginners how to sew. Here are some other great beginner sewing tutorials to make with your key fob!
Where to Buy Cork Fabric
I bought my cork fabric at Sallie Tomato. They have the best selection I have seen in one spot! Also, etsy and local sewing or quilt shops usually have a few options as well.
Where to Buy Hardware
5 minute Cork Key Fob Tutorial
- Cork piece 2.5 x 10 inches
- Coordinating thread color
- scrap piece of batting or fabric
- 1 1/4 inch key fob hardware
- needlenose pliers
- optional keyring
- Gather up supplies
- Cut cork to size. My hardware was 1 1/4 inches wide. If you use a different size, no problem. Just make sure your cork measures twice the width of the hardware you pick.
- Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together and clip into place.
- Sew down each long side with an 1/8 seam allowance. Use a size 3 stitch length and coordinating thread color.
- Trim the raw side of the key fob using a rotary or scissors to create a nice, clean edge.
- Take the hardware and pinch in closed slightly. You want to be able to stick the cork inside, but it has less of a chance of shifting when you full close the hardware.
- Insert the cork piece and make sure it is inserted all the way.
- Now, use the batting and pliers to pinch the hardware closed completely.
- Add the optional keyring if desired. Enjoy!