Hi Everyone! I really wanted to make a matching beginner crochet hat to go with the mitten tutorial and I wanted to make it super easy!! I also wanted to teach you this type of hat construction that is good for all skill levels including beginners – which you know I love keeping it simple but also still beautiful.
Beginner Crochet Hat
When I made the mittens, I used 2 balls of Red Heart with Love in dusty grape and crocheted with 2 strands at the same time. If you did that project, you have enough yarn leftover to make this hat… Otherwise, here is what you need.
- 1 skein of Red Heart with Love yarn (Or any yarn of your choice!…If it’s a smaller ball of yarn you make need 2 or 3)
- Hook that coordinates with your yarn choice, I am using a K or 6.5mm.
- Yarn Needle
Want the PDF Instructions? Get them FREE right HERE.
- Start with a slip knot
- Make your foundation chain 15 inches long (you can make it shorter if you want a more narrow brim or less slouch)
- (Row 1) In the 2nd chain from your hook, sc in each foundation chain all the way down
- (Row 2) ch 1, turn work and sc in each stitch all the way down
- (Row 3) ch 1, turn work and sc in the back loop only all the way down
- (Row 4) ch 1, turn work and sc in the back loop only all the way down
- Repeat rows 1-4 until you have reached your desired head size measurement.
Here is a chart I use when I make standard beanies. My hat measured 21 inches around and this hat has a good amount of stretch. The length of hat in this chart is for beanies that are fitted with no slouch.
- Once you have your desired size crochet rectangle, slip stitch your long sides together.
- Fasten off leaving a long tail
- Use the yarn needle and sew one of the openings closed making sure it is secure, looks good and weave in the ends.
- Weave in any other yarn tails with the yarn needle
- Add a pom pom if desired (video linked below)
- Fold up the other opening as your brim and you are done!
*Tip When I was in Montana and wanted a little extra warmth, I folded the brim up even higher and had the pom pom closer to my head so that it was like having 2 layers of crochet keeping my head warm ;).
Pom Pom Video
YouTube Video Tutorial
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make this beginner crochet hat! Let me know what you think!