I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was learning Adobe Illustrator. I started by taking a Lynda.com class and at the end of the class I felt like I had a good understanding of what the program could do, but not a lot of specific skills and I was a little lost as to where I should start. About 2 weeks after that, my step mom forwarded me a link from Bonnie’s blog, Going Home to Roost, about a class she would be doing on Illustrator the NIGHT before it was going to start. So I decided to rearrange my next 3 whole days so that I could participate in the live class! After the first few sessions of the first day, I knew I was going to learn so much good information, I was so excited to finally get some specific instruction on how to do things step by step – yay! At the end of the class, I decided to push myself and commit to enter the design competition because if I didn’t, I knew I wouldn’t spend enough hours to get a good understanding of what I was doing… it gave me a goal, a task and motivation to work on my new skills. Unfortunately, I didn’t win the competition, but you can see the winner and some of the other mentioned pattern collections Here. There was some wonderful work submitted!
So… wanna see what I made?!
I just love how this cactus turned out. I put an earthy brown background behind it to make it stand out a little bit more. Then I just took the outline of the cactus and wanted to make a print with a “lacey” effect in a very simple 2 tone color palette.
Here is some other work I did. The top feathery illustration never made it into a final print for this 6 print collection but working with it helped me get to the one that did. This bottom “grid like” came together I and really like how it worked out.
This succulent illustration turned out to be the star of the show in 2 prints from the final collection. After trying out a few different techniques and fiddling with the succulent to get it just right, I’m very happy with how this motif turned out. I love that is has this flower shape even though it isn’t a flower.
Next I had an idea to add a fringe print. Since I was using these cactus illustrations I wanted to make sure there were some simpler prints in there with the more complicated ones. The fringe needed a nice dark background so you can see the variation in the fringe.
The whole collection… Succulent is what I called it.