Hey Everyone! Today I have a fun little sewing tutorial for you, learn to make this sew easy baby blanket! I call it the Easiest Baby Blanket Ever, lol. I set this up for the beginner sewist who may not have all the fancy cutting tools so that this project can be achieved with minimal supplies and very basic sewing skills. This would make a great first project or fast project for a baby shower 😉
The Easiest Baby Blanket Ever
Sew Easy Baby Blanket 😉
Finished blanket measures 41 x 55. See below for smaller measurement suggestions.
1 1/2 yard of cotton print (width of fabric should be 44/45 which is standard). Fabric is called quite delish by Alexander Henry.
1 1/4 yard of minky fabric
sewing machine and coordinating thread
Need some easy burp cloths too? These are so easy, and beautiful!
1.Prewash cotton fabric and iron (I wash mine on gentle and tumble dry low). No need to prewash minky fabric.
2.Spread out minky fabric on large surface like a table or the floor right side up
3.Place cotton fabric right side down on top of the minky fabric. The minky will be slightly larger.
4.Trim with fabric scissors using the cotton fabric as a guide. (NOTE: This is assuming that this is a fresh cut of fabric and that the store cut it straight. Double check this before you continue).
4.Don’t move the fabric once it has been cut and pin all the way around.
Take it to the sewing machine
5. Take pinned blanket to the sewing machine and sew at a 5/8 seam allowance with the minky on the bottom. Back stitch at the beginning and end leaving a 6 inch opening.
6.Reinforce corners (optional)
7. Trim corners. Be sure not to trim through threads, leave about 1/8 of fabric.
8. Trim seam allowance slightly. DO NOT trim seam allowance at the 6 inch opening.
9. Turn blanket right side out
10. Pin 6 inch opening closed.
11. Take blanket to sewing machine (minky on the bottom) and with coordinating thread, sew 1/4 inch all around the blanket smoothing with your finger and assuring there are no bubbles and wrinkles as you go. (You can rub the seam between your fingers and finger press to help it stay flat). Back stitch at the start and stop.
12. Celebrate and do the happy dance that you completed the Easiest Baby Blanket Ever!
If you want to make this blanket but make it smaller…
1 yard cotton fabric (total fabric size will be 36 x 44)
1 yard minky fabric (total fabric size will be 36 x 54)
-I don’t recommend making a baby blanket size smaller than 36 inches unless you want it to be a lovey or smaller car seat blanket.
Still using the cotton fabric, you can trim the 10 inches off of the minky and make a blanket 36 x 44 and spend a little less money on fabric.
If you have a cutting mat and rotary cutter and need some cutting help, check out this video. Once you have the basics of cutting down, you can make this any size you like.
This makes a great light weight crib blanket once baby is old enough for blankets in the bed.
I hope you enjoyed this sew easy baby blanket!
Do you like to crochet instead? Check out this easy crochet blanket!
Saturday 15th of October 2016
I´m expecting my second child and I just made a blanket for him. It was so easy and effordless but yet very special!Thank you so much for this tutorial!
Sunday 31st of July 2016
How do you stop the minky material from slipping in your machine? I pinned everything but when I started to put it through the machine it kept sliding and making crooked lines
Sunday 3rd of January 2016
Hi! I was wondering if I could use the 505 adhesive on the minky and quilt this blanket? I am new to sewing but have been so inspired by your YouTube videos! I love your style! Thanks ?
Wednesday 4th of November 2015
Ilove your your babby blancket project
Thursday 10th of September 2015
I would love you're bag patterns