Today, I’m going to show you how to crochet a hat! This easy crochet hat pattern is so cozy, simple and great for beginners. It only took me about 2 hours (max) to make it, so this crochet hat pattern is quick too!
Now, I’m pretty sure you can’t have too many crochet hat patterns ready to go when it gets cold outside. They are a fun quick make that satisfies that crochet need that we all have, and is useful! Expressing your creativity in this tangible way is the best!
What is the Best Yarn for Crochet Hats?
There are so many good ones, but I personally love acrylic yarns because they are easy to work with and wash. Yarn with a touch of wool is great too, especially in colder climates. The natural fibers are always a good choice. This crochet hat has made with a size 6 wool/acrylic blend and a size 5 roving which gives it a fun texture.
Other Free Crochet Hat Patterns
I have a bunch of other free crochet hat patterns that are beginner friendly! It’s kind of one of my specialties. I love to to teach you how to crochet a hat, because it’s easier than you might think. Here are some of my most popular free easy crochet hat patterns.
- Waistcoat Crochet Hat Tutorial
- Chunky Shell Crochet Hat Pattern
- Slightly Slouchy Crochet Hat
- Absolute Beginner Crochet Hat
- Crochet Granny Cluster Beanie Hat
- Crochet Messy Bun Hat
- How to crochet a beanie – beginner tutorial
How to Make a Pom Pom
I have a tutorial on how to make a removable pom pom. My favorite way to make yarn pom poms is to use the Clover Pom Pom maker. You can also use the faux fur ones you buy at the store or online.
Easy Crochet Hat Pattern – Cozy Textured Stripes!
Easy Cozy Crochet Hat Pattern
Learn how to crochet this easy crochet hat pattern. Great for beginner crocheters and takes less than 2 hours to make it.
- 1 ball of Color A yarn ( mine is Big Twist Natural Blend size 6 in winter white)
- 1 ball of Color B yarn (mine is Buttercream roving size 5 in color aran)
- M or 9mm crochet hook (use hook from larger size yarn)
- yarn needle
- Clover Pom Pom maker
- Create a slip stitch with Color A. Ch 5, Single Crochet (sc) in 2nd chain from hook and in every chain down the row. Total of 4 sc stitches.
- Turn work and ch 1, sc in each previous stitch. Continue until band reaches desired size. (See Notes section for hat size chart).
- Take the 2 short ends and slip stitch them together. Add Color B if doing so and do not cut yarn of Color A.
- sc at the end of each row from the band with Color B.
- After the sc round, switch to a half double crochet (hdc) for the 2nd round with color B.
- When the hdc round is complete, switch back to Color A which is easy since the yarn is still attached, just draw it up the back side and continue stitching.
- Create 2 rounds of hdc with Color A and then switch back until your hat reaches at least 8 inches. This measurement will give the hat it's slouch factor. Mine was 10 inches because I wanted to end on Color A and have Color B be the pom.
- Fasten off and leave a long tail. Take a yarn needle and thread the tail in and out of the top round of stitches. Cinch up the opening and sew it closed from the inside.
- Weave in all tails and make a pom pom if desired. Here is my video on making a removable pom pom.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Saturday 30th of January 2021
Notes section has sizes for flying geese and squares. Nothing about hat sizes. Maybe it didn't load correctly.