Look how cute and handy this vinyl box pouch is?! I love how quick and simple they are – a great summer project!
How to Sew a Vinyl Box Pouch
- ( 1) 8 x 12 piece of clear vinyl of choice for the size made in the video. Can be found in the upholstery section of Joann or Hobby lobby if you want clear. I found my see through green vinyl on Etsy.
- Optional: 1 x 2 inch piece of vinyl for the pull tabs
- (1) 15 inch zipper
- Clover clips (don’t use pins with vinyl)
- Thread – you will see the stitches so I recommend a fun pop of color
- Sewing machine
Want this pattern Ad free? CLICK HERE FOR AD FREE PDF PATTERN.
- This is the size made in the video. 8×12 piece of vinyl, measuring 3/4 from the corner to create the box and utilizing a 14/15 inch zipper.
- This is the same size from my original cotton fabric box pouch tutorial on YouTube. 13 x 17 piece of vinyl and measuring 2 inches from the corner to create the box.
- 7 x 10 piece of vinyl, measuring 1 inch from the corner to create the box. I still utilized a larger zipper, but you can get away with a 9/10 inch – it just takes more fiddling when you sew the 2nd side of the zipper.
*Note, a 3/4 inch box will be a “shorter” more shallow pouch as seen in option 1. A 1 inch box will create a deeper vinyl box pouch. You can play around with this as you like.
Free YouTube Video Tutorial is embedded at the end of the post.
Attach the Zipper
Clip your vinyl to the center of your zipper and zig zag the short side of your vinyl to the zipper. Make sure the vinyl does not interfere with the zipper teeth. I used a standard foot.
Clip the other side of the vinyl to the zipper so that it lines up with the side already sewn and open the zipper.
Flip the pouch to the right, allowing you to zig zag the other side of the zipper in the same manner as before.
Turn the pouch wrong side out and close the zipper half way.
Sew the sides
Fold the bag in half and clip into place. If using the pull tabs, fold them in half and insert right above the zipper making sure the cut sides of the tab match up with the cut sides of the pouch.
Prepare the other side for sewing as well, but remember that the zipper will be separated on the other side and needs extra care when clipping into place. *Be sure your zipper is at least half way open before you sew both sizes down.
Sew along each side of your bag using a 3/8 seam allowance or the width of your presser foot. Back stitch over your zipper and make sure the side with separated zipper is sew as close as possible.
How it should look with both sides sewn.
Box it out
Make a mark along the fold with a ball point pen or dry erase marker.
Fold the pouch in and match the mark with the side seam of the bag making sure the seam allowance is facing toward the body of the bag and not the zipper.
Measure 3/4 inch from the corner and make a larger mark to sew down and create our “box.” This measurement can be adjusted if you’d like a deeper bag. *see above for the measurement photos.
Sew along that mark with just 1 little backstitch. Repeat this on all 4 corners.
Trim all corners leaving a 1/4 seam allowance. Trim the zippers to line up with the seam allowance and pull tabs as well. Turn right side out.
You’re finished! You now have this great vinyl box pouch.
Thursday 18th of July 2019
Descry is an frightening jackpot in understudy of victory. melaniekham.com https://bit.ly/2NMlSRN
Monday 15th of July 2019
There is an mind-boggling visuals in behalf of you. melaniekham.com https://bit.ly/2NJRZS3
Saturday 22nd of June 2019
What weight of the vinyl did you use?