Hi Everyone! Welcome to the first Mama Lisa Monday! Every other Monday my Mom, now lovingly referred to as Mama Lisa will be here on the blog sharing some of her tips and insights on quilting. I thought it would be great to have her perspective shared on this site. While we agree on lots of things quilting related, everyone has a different take on things at times so I want to bring you trusted opinions in the quilting space! Today, she is going to share her favorite quilting tools! Here she is showing off a quilt she helped put together for Thomas Fire victims. We dropped it off at Superbuzzy when she was here visiting! Take it away Mama Lisa!
Mama Lisa’s Favorite Quilting Tools
Welcome to the first of what I hope to be many blog posts here on Melanie’s Blog! I have lots of ideas to share with all of you and my hope is that you all will share and comment on these blogs adding your own insights. We all have perspectives and can learn from each other.
Top 5 Favorite Quilting Tools
- My sewing machine has to be my number one favorite quilting tool. It is a workhorse of a machine, fast, has lots of features and is easy to use. Mine is a Janome Memory Craft 7700QCP and was an investment but has been a gamechanger for me. My advice is to find the key features you really must have and go for the best machine you can possibly afford.
- Creative Grids 6 ½ x 12 ½ ruler is my go to for so many tasks. I like all of the Creative Grids rulers but this one is a very useable size, has the non-slip etching, easy to take with you and has a variety of markings. Find one here!
- Dritz Blue Seam Ripper is the one I reach for even though I have many different types and brands. The tip of this ripper IS NOT super sharp which I like so it glides under the stitch without catching the fabric. You can find one here.
- Splash Rotary Cutter is by far my favorite type of cutting tool. The handle fits really well in my hand, has a ridged grip and the easy change blade encourages me to change my blade more often because it’s super quick and easy. I have a few purple ones in my shop!
- My design board is my partner in creating quilts. I tend to design my own or I’ll modify a pattern or block layout so that what I create is unique and the only way I could do that is with a design board. The ability to move fabric around on a vertical surface, stand back, take pictures and then shuffle them some more is also super fun! This is what is actually on my board right now! Melanie has a YouTube video on how to make your own design board, I highly recommend it!
What do YOU think?
There are many more items I could name but these really are my top 5 favorite quilting tools! What are your absolute must have tools? Comment and let me know. Maybe there’s one I need to check out. Oh, and if there is a topic you want to hear about or more information on, leave a comment and let me know. Just might be the next topic of discussion!
From my quilting heart to you,
Thanks Mom! That was so great! Looking for some more quilting inspiration? Check out my favorite quilting books!