Hi there! Today, I have an updated crochet beanie pattern and tutorial video and pattern for you! My original how to crochet a beanie video is 4 years old and was in need of an update – (um hello I used dark yarn in the video) because even though it is a top video, I am much better at tutorials now.
I also went a little slower, so that my beginners can tackle this and feel confident to accomplish it! Learn how to crochet a beanie!
Free written and printable beanie crochet pattern at the end of this post!
How to Crochet a Beanie
I used Red Heart with Love Yarn but you can use a worsted weight yarn of your choice and it will give you a similar size. Refer to the sizing chart below if you use a different yarn so you can make sure your sizing works out.
This beanie is a simple classic beanie.
I used a J-10 (6mm) hook.
Here is Part 1 of the Video Tutorial 😉
US to UK terms
- US sc = UK dc
- US dc = UK tr
- US hdc = UK htr
- US tr = UK dtr
Crochet Stitches Used
DC = Double Crochet
SC= Single Crochet
How to Crochet a Beanie Size Chart
Below is a list of other great crochet beanie tutorials, check them out!
- Absolute Beginner Crochet Hat
- Easy Granny Cluster Beanie Hat
- Easy Slouchy Crochet Beanie
- Free Slightly Slouchy Crochet Hat Pattern
I hope you enjoyed this How to Crochet a Beanie Pattern and Video! This is a basic fitted beanie, so its great for men and women.
CLICK HERE for the Free PDF Pattern.
Crochet Beanie Pattern
- 1 ball of Red Heart with Love or similar
- J or 6mm crochet hook
- Yarn Needle
- Form a Magic ring. You may also chain 4 and slip stitch to the first chain to create the circle.
- ch 2, create 12 dc stitches inside the ring or circle created.
- ch 2, dc 2 times in the first stitch, dc 1 and repeat this (2 dc, dc1) all the way around. Slip stitch to finish the round. 18 stitches total.
- ch 2, dc 2 times in first stitch, dc 2 and repeat this (2 dc, dc 2), slip stitch back at beginning for 24 total stitches
- chain 2, dc 2 times in first stitch, dc 3 and repeat this (2 dc, dc 3), slip stitch back at beginning for 30 total stitches
- chain 2, dc 2 times in first stitch, dc 4 and repeat this (2 dc, dc 4), slip stitch back at beginning for 36 total stitches
- chain 2, dc 2 times in first stitch, dc 5 and repeat this (2 dc, dc 5), slip stitch back at beginning for 42 total stitches
- chain 2, dc 2 times in first stitch, dc 6 and repeat this (2 dc, dc 6), slip stitch back at beginning for 48 total stitches
- ch 2, dc in each stitch around, slip stitch to finish the round. Repeat this until desired size is reached. Mine measured 7.5 inches.
- border: ch 1, sc in each stitch around the hat for 2 rounds. slip stitch and tie off. Weave in ends.
To achieve the best result, measuring the head is best. Measure the circumference (above the ears and across the forehead right above the eyebrows). Also measure from the top of the head down to the eyebrows or the height of the hat.
This chart is best with a worsted weight yarn and I-9 (5.5mm) or J-10 (6mm) hook.