Today I want to share with you my all time favorite quilt block, the Sawtooth Star Quilt Block! This block is classic, iconic and can be made to look more modern or traditional to fit your own personal style.
The first thing you want to do when making this block is make 4 flying geese. I made a video a few years ago on how to make 4 flying geese at one time, and that is what you should follow if you don’t have a favorite flying geese method. For the 12 inch block in this example, the flying geese should be 3.5 x 6.5 inches (3 x 6 finished).
Flying Geese Chart
Sawtooth Star Quilt Block Tutorial
- (4) Flying geese that measure 3.5 x 6.5
- (4) Outer squares that are 3.5 x 3.5 (white)
- (1) Center square that is 6.5 x 6.5 (black)
- Lay out all of your pieces to the Sawtooth Star Quilt block
- Sew your pieces together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- Keep an eye on your points and nest the seams together.
Need to know how to make flying geese? Here is a video for making 4 at one time.