I am so excited to share this highly requested technique video on how to hand sew lining to crochet blanket with no sewing machine 😉 This has such a professional finish to it – ti’s a great method of adding fabric to your crochet pieces.
Prepare Your Fabric
All you need is your crochet blanket, any size or style is fine – just be careful it’s not too lacy so that it has a good foundation to attach to.
Once you have that, you need a finished piece of fabric that is the exact size as your blanket. When I say finished, you can use a sewing machine if you have one, but if you don’t, that’s ok! You can use fabric glue or seam tape to finish your fabric piece. We want it finished, meaning no raw edges, so that it can be washed and not come unraveled.
Materials to Hand Sew Lining to Crochet Blanket
Coordinating color of thick thread, I like using pearl cotton #8.
Hand sewing needle – match eye size to your thread size
- Thread your needle with about 18 inches of your pearl cotton and knot the end.
- Insert your needle in the very edge of the fabric, pull slightly to pull knot inside the fold of the fabric.
- Create stitches that are roughly 3/4 inch wide (this can vary based on how thick your hook/yarn is.
- Keep stitches consistent and complete them around the entire edge of the fabric.
- Place fabric and crochet piece together, wrong sides together (if applicable)
- Insert your crochet hook in the pearl cotton stitch and then into the edge of the crochet blanket, yarn over and pull through, create a sc.
- sc in throw both the fabric and crochet pieces all the way around the blanket. Leave it here or create another border like the picot edging I did in the video.
I love how seamless this is, the stitches are hidden and you can do this without a sewing machine.
I recommend hand washing or washing on delicate (in a mesh bag if possible) for all my crochet items. With this blanket I also recommend drying it flat and smoothing out the crochet part so that it doesn’t loose it’s shape.
I hope you enjoy this technique of how to hand sew lining to a crochet blanket! Let me know in the comments if this is helpful!