Today we are making an easy crochet basket pattern! This basket is beginner friendly and can be made in less than an hour – um yes please! I also added this pretty trim to the top.
What cord or yarn should you use for this crochet basket pattern?
The beauty of this basket pattern is that you can change it up to use the type of cord or yarn that you have available to you. I used the bonnie craft cord, and I picked that kind because you can still find some and its made from polyolefin which makes it great for outdoors. It resists mildew and can be hosed off and holds it’s color. Don’t use fancy, expensive macrame cord for outside baskets, inside – yes ;).
If you would like to use a different type of cord, you can use clothesline like I did in my basket pattern from a few years ago or you can double (or triple up) your favorite yarn. The sizing will turn out different if you use different cord than I used, but you will still get a great result!
I used this yarn from Darn Good Yarn for the trim on the basket. I highly recommend it, but you can use other types of strips of fabric too!
Other great crochet projects for around the house
Easy Crochet Basket Pattern
Instructions are for the large size as shown in the video. Adjustments for the small size are listed in the "notes" section.
- 6mm Bonnie Craft Cord - you can use other 6mm cords too.
- S crochet hook 19mm
- Create a magic ring. Place 7 single crochets inside the magic ring. slip stitch to first sc to complete round
- Round 2: Ch 1, place 2 sc stitches in each stitch all the way around. Slip stitch to complete round
- Round 3: Ch 1, 2sc in first stitch, sc 1; repeat. Slip stitch to complete round
- Round 4: Ch 1, 2sc in first stitch, 1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches; repeat. Slip stitch to complete round
- ch 1 and place 1 half double crochet (hdc) in each stitch all the way around the basket. When you get back to the beginning of the round, instead of slip stitching just continue with the hdc stitches until you reach the desired height of the basket or you run out of rope.
- When you are finishing up, try to finish up where you began to make the most even top possible. Go from an hdc, to sc, so slip stitch to gradually flatten out the top and then fasten off.
- Optional: Use recycled fabric yarn or fabric strips (or a contrasting cord/yarn color) and do 1 or 2 rounds of sc at the top of the basket.
The Large Basket used 81 yards of 6mm Bonnie Craft cord.
The Small basket used 31 yards of the 4mm Bonnie Craft cord.
Small size basket adjustments: 12mm hook with the 4mm Bonnie craft cord. I followed all other pattern instructions except that I only did 1 round of the trim.