Hi everyone! It’s officially October and we are headed into the fall and winter season, perfect for a new crochet project! Introducing the crochet berry blanket tutorial ;). This crochet blanket is beginner friendly, meditative and doesn’t require a lot of counting. Make this while you watch movies or sports or while hanging with your family on the couch.
Crochet Berry Blanket Tips
If you would like to learn how to make the berry stitch in more detail, I created an entire video for teaching the berry stitch. If you remember in that post, I recommend using a hook size 2 larger than what is recommended on the package.
Other Great Crochet Blanket Tutorials
Crochet Berry Blanket
This lap size crochet berry blanket is beginner friendly and utilizes the beautiful berry stitch! Not a lot of counting, so you can make this while you watch a movie and hang out with your family 😉
Berry Stitch: yo, insert hook, yo, pull through, yo, pull through first loop only. yo, insert hook, yo, pull through (5 loops on hook), yo, pull through all 5 loops.
If you would like to see the full 15 minute version, click HERE to watch on YouTube.
- 4 balls (380 yd) worsted weight yarn in background color.
- 1 ball (380 yd) worsted weight yarn in Color A
- 1 ball (380 yd) worsted weight yarn in Color B
- 1 ball (380 yd) worsted weight yarn in Color C
- J/6mm Crochet hook (or 1 to 2 sizes larger than package recommendation)
- Start with a slip knot with background color and create a foundation chain of 164
- In the 2nd chain from hook, single crochet (sc) in each chain to the end.
- ch 1, turn work and sc in each stitch all the way down for row 2. Repeat for row 3 for a total of 3 rows of sc stitches.
- switch to color A, ch 1 and turn. sc in first stitch, 1 berry stitch and alternate these stitches. You should end with a sc stitch.
- switch back to background color and create 3 rows of sc stitches.
- switch to color B and create another berry row, repeating in this fashion to incorporate all of the accent colors. Your last berry row will be color C, followed by the last 3 rows of sc. ( 13 rows of Color A, 13 rows of Color B, 13 rows of Color C). There will be 120 rows of background color.
- Once you have completed the main body of the blanket, do not fasten off the background color, but using a yarn needle weave in all the tails of the color changes.
- Once tails are woven in, create a slip stitch border all the way around the blanket to finish. Fasten off and weave in those tails.
I used Big Twist Value yarn from Joann. This yarn is very similar to red heart super saver or vanna's choice type of yarn.
Colors I used: Background is cream, Color A is light rose, Color B is eggplant and Color C is mustard.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sunday 25th of October 2020
I’m working on the Berry blanket. It looked to me that the single crochet, following the berry stitch, was in the next stitch..not the same one as berry??
Additionally, my ends are very uneven. I really don’t want to pull it all out!! Suggestions?
Saturday 17th of October 2020
Thank you so much for another beautiful crochet blanket pattern! I'm planning on making this blanket for my baby girl (due December 1). What number do you suggest I modify the foundation chain to? I'm thinking 82, but I'd love to get your opinion!
Wednesday 14th of October 2020
I have been following you for a while now doing your sewing tutorials (which are so awesome!! Watching your videos is how my daughter and I have learned to sew) and finally decided to give crochet a try.
I made the striped baby blanket and now I am working on this berry blanket. My berries are turning out flat and I don't know why. I am using the big twist value yarn and a J10 (6mm) hook. Should I size up another size for the hook? Am I not crocheting tight enough? Could it be the way I am doing the next line of single crochets after the berries? I LOOOVE this blanket and really want it to turn out.
Thank you so much for inspiring me to crochet and creating such AWESOME tutorials that make it easy for us beginners.
Thursday 15th of October 2020
Okay after laying in bed replaying your video in my head over and over last night I figured out what I was doing wrong and just wanted to share in case any other newb is making the same mistake that I did.
On the berries I was putting the last single crochet stitch in the next hole instead of in the same one as the berry (if that makes sense)
So I took it apart and I am ready to make the blanket now!!!!! I am so pumped to see how it turns out!!
Wednesday 14th of October 2020
SO GLAD YOUR BACK AND ROCKING IT !!! GO YOU GIRL💕💕 you are a TRUE INSPERATION !! i lOVE THIS BLANKET I HOPE THERE IS A PDF WITH MY PEA BRAIN 🤣🤣💕
Wednesday 7th of October 2020
First so happy to see you back!!! I have 2 ideas for this one.. and btw 2 weeks ago Joann had all the Big and Twist value on sale for $1.50 each.. so I just may have stocked up on some..