Today’s video is a crochet basic video, how to make yarn pom poms! I have a few upcoming projects where you can opt to use these, so I wanted to give my favorite yarn pom pom making method it’s own post and video for your reference.
This is my favorite way to make yarn pom poms and I think it’s the best way. Trust me, I have tried them all (including the fork, cardboard and Boye options) and these Clover pom pom makers are the absolute best. There is so much less trimming and fussing with your yarn pom pom with this method.
- Yarn of choice - Scraps are great!
- Clover Pom Pom Maker
- Sharp scissors
- Decide what yarn and size pom pom maker you would like to use. Open up the pom pom maker and prepare to wrap your yarn.
- Wrap the yarn around 1 curved side of the yarn pom pom maker working your way across and then back so that it is as even as possible.
- Fill up the first side of the pom pom maker and then cut the yarn to do two tone or travel the yarn across to the other side and fill up that one in the same manner.
- Both sides should be full and difficult to close, but not so full that it will pop out when you are working into the next few steps.
- Once both side have been wrapped, take sharp scissors and cut along the center "channel" making sure the pom pom maker stays closed.
- After it is cut, take an approximately 8 inch or longer strand of yarn and pull it through that center channel and double knot it.
- Open up the yarn pom pom maker and separate the center post to allow the pom pom to come out
- With your sharp scissors, trim the pom pom. Don't get too crazy with the trimming, its easy to be particular with this step. Generally, with this method, you only need minor trimming around the center of the pom pom.
Looking for some projects to add these cute pom poms to? Try these out!
- Absolute Beginner Crochet Hat
- Easy Slouchy Crochet Beanie
- Turtle Shell Crochet Blanket – add pom poms to the corners for a cute look!
I’ve also got a great tutorial for how to make your own faux fur pom pom!